Resumes by Category
Contract & Freelance
Sales & Marketing
Web & Internet
GISjobs.com It All Starts Here
E: email@example.com C: (925)-395-1199 Burlingame, CA 94010
Objective: To continue my career in geospatial analysis emphasizing the applied use of cartography, data science, statistical models, and environmental science to optimize use of corporate and natural resources.
Skills and Expertise
• Excel in Geoprocessing methods to acquire, process, and display Geospatial Data from Remote Sensing instruments.
• Experienced in Statistical Analyses using Scripts in R and Formulas and VBA in Excel
• Developed Relational Databases in Access and SQL Server to collect and archive Fisheries Data
• Maintain data quality through automated and manual Quality Control/ Quality Assurance Methods.
• Visualize data through thematic, choropleth, and dot distribution maps for Newsletters, Presentations, and Articles using ArcGIS 10.5, QGIS, and Google Earth.
• Edited the bi-annual California Groundfish Sampler’s Newsletter and authored quality articles and blogs.
2013 Microsoft Office Access Specialist 77-885 with MS Access 2010
2009 Certified in Mapping & GIS Certified Training Course from Trimble Navigation Systems
Mar/2013 – Present, Pacific States Marine Fisheries Commission (PSMFC)
Data Manager/Natural Scientist II
• Developed SQL scripts to standardize, verify, and summarize data from different databases in MS SQL Server 2014; Composed queries, custom entry forms, and macros in MS Access; analyzed accuracy of data entered through online websites by comparing entered data to historical data via descriptive statistics and graphical displays
• Transferred and processed data from remote servers in MS SQL Server and Excel
• Coordinate Quota Species Management (QSM) with 2 supervisors and 8 port samplers to upload weekly fisheries data feeds into PacFIN.
• Presented on field sampling strategies to generate robust datasets at the Port Sampler’s Workshop.
• Analyze data in Excel using Formulas, Macros, and Visual Basic scripts; summarize data and send data feeds to peers and supervisors;
• Transformed routine Excel calculations into automated VBA scripts.
• Designed maps of ports, study sites, and fish habitat use with ESRI’s ArcMap and QGIS.
• Editor of the Newsletter and author of 10 articles explaining ecology and evolutionary biology.
Jun/2011 – Feb/2013 FISHBIO, LLC
Mekong River Artisanal Fisheries Monitoring Project:
• Managed and improved four databases collecting data on artisanal fisheries and household food consumption of four fishing villages along the Nam Kading, in Laos People’s Democratic Republic. Information on fish catch, household food consumption, and market value were analyzed and displayed using scripts in R for presentations and reports. Data presented at global fisheries conference. This work was my Masters’ Degree Research Project. Based on our findings, the installation of 11 hydropower dams along the Nam Kading tributary would affect many over 19 fish families, many migratory fish species, and a considerable portion of local families’ protein consumption. The results were presented at the World Fish Conference in Edinburgh in 2012.
• Employ validation rules in MS Access to ensure accurate data entry in Lao PDR; prepare graphical and map analysis for reports and presentations;
Sacramento Riverbank Protection Project.
• Standardized sample design, improved Access database for more efficient data entry, recovered damaged data files, reformatted video data, and combined data from desktop and GPS device. Developed and documented data collection methods to classify riverbank habitat and vegetation coverage from electrofishing video recordings.
Geospatial Analysis Tasks:
• monitored and developed in ArcMap and Google Earth to reference geolocations of watersheds and flood areas. Well locations and wetlands were digitized through overlay of digital elevation models on scanned PDF files; use geoprocessing tools; use of remote sensing tools; verify geolocations of well sites; QC field transect data collected via Trimble GPS units.
Sep/2010 - Dec/2010, IfAME (Institute for Applied Marine Ecology)
• Collected data on marine epifauna through sediment grabs at sea; characterized seabed epifauna through video reviews of towed camera sled and ROV (Remote Operated Vehicle) Beagle on board the Research Vessel FULMAR. composed literature review of over 60 research articles from diverse languages;
Jun/2008 - Jun/2009 Internship, Moss Landing Marine Laboratories/Benthic Ecology Lab
Moss Landing, CA.
• Restored riverbank native flora through nursing of native plants in greenhouses and strategic planting; characterize wetland fauna of Moss Landing through regular sampling, preservation in formaldehyde and ethanol, and identifying animals under a microscope; mapped fauna locations of estuarine invertebrates using a GPS unit.
• Identified marine epifauna from Photo Stills collected from ROV transects in Antarctica.
2011 California State University, Monterey Bay, Seaside, CA
MS – Coastal and Watershed Science and Policy
2008 University of California Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz, CA
BS – Marine Biology
Fluent in English and German (written and spoken)
You must be a registered/logged in employer to contact job seekers.