GISjobs.com It All Starts Here
Geographic Information System (GIS) Coordinator
Cottonwood, AZ, USA
Under general supervision of the IT Department Director, responsible for the development of department-specific and web-based Geographic Information Systems (GIS) products, data and applications. Performs a variety of technical tasks relative to the assigned area of responsibility.
CLASSIFICATION: This is a non-exempt, full-time, classified position with full benefits.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this classification.
Creates and maintains the GIS data used by the Cottonwood Emergency Communication Center (ECC) using the appropriate geovalidation workflows.
Designs, develops, programs, implements, and supports GIS applications using Esri 10.x, ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Online and other Esri products.
Serves as a working project manager for GIS projects and/or works as a high-level GIS and data specialist for application design, task automation, spatial/tabular data processing, cartographic production/digital mapping, data management, data collection and data entry.
Act as a liaison between department-specific GIS users and other City departments to address GIS support, Quality Assurance and Quality Control.
Assists employees with methods or procedures related to application design, database design, as well as how to accomplish specific tasks.
Identifies and works with other agencies to determine general scope and objectives, specific requirements, and strategies for successful completion of projects.
Generates hard copy specialty maps and GIS data requests as needed by the city departments.
Updates the County’s street centerline data for Cottonwood and Clarkdale using GIS data standards and workflows developed by the County.
Maintains the County’s confidential wireless database.
Reviews and evaluates proposed street names within the Verde Valley.
Performs other job-related duties as assigned (i.e., create and maintain metadata and documentation as needed, etc.).
Provides accurate, prompt, knowledgeable and courteous support with regard to GIS problems or information requests.
Manages short or long-term projects from inception through implementation and evaluation.
Accurately and promptly completes projects within the prescribed time frame.
Assists in developing and maintaining internal GIS standards and controls in compliance with the city’s policies and procedures.
Establishes quality control procedures and techniques to ensure the validity and accuracy of Cottonwood GIS data layers.
Works closely with the IT staff to maintain GIS software licensing and to ensure the smooth functioning of the GIS from a technical standpoint.
Communicates effectively and professionally through written correspondence and oral communication and ability to convey GIS/spatial information to non-GIS/technical people clearly.
Interacts effectively with other local Cities and Towns, Counties State and Federal agencies.
Advises the IT Director of GIS issues affecting the city.
Maintains knowledge in areas of application design.
Actively supports and upholds the City’s stated mission and values, including being open for business and providing excellent customer service that is externally focused.
Actively works to inspire a vibrant community through departmental work and ensures departmental work fits the ‘Heart of Arizona Wine Country’ branding.
Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND OTHER CHARACTERISTICS:
• Knowledge of geography and various methods and references common to GIS applications, such as coordinate systems, coordinate geometry (COGO), topology, mapping and cartographic standards.
• Knowledge of City departments and their functions as they relate to GIS applications.
• Advanced knowledge of industry standard GIS software and technology and of the development of web-based software.
• Knowledge of relational database technologies (SQL Server or Oracle).
• Knowledge of FLEX system software.
• Demonstrated advanced knowledge and skills in cartography, spatial analysis, geospatial data editing and use of ArcGIS Desktop 10.x, ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Online.
• Skill in utilizing Microsoft Software Suite.
• Ability to become familiar with pertinent federal, state, and local laws, codes and regulations.
• Ability to perform responsible and difficult project assignments involving the use of independent judgment and personal initiative.
• Ability to establish and maintain productive working relationships with associates, employees of other departments, representatives of other organizations, County officials, and the public.
• Ability to work in organized team efforts with various City departments.
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both oral and written.
• Ability to effectively read, write, and speak the English language.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Work involved in this classification includes periods of walking, sitting, keyboarding and telephone use. The employee is frequently required to talk and hear to communicate effectively on the telephone, in person, or in writing. The employee is often required to have mobility from one office to another; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls, and reach with hands and arms, climb or balance; and stoop, crouch, and kneel. Specific vision abilities required include distinguishing color and adjusting focus. Some moderate lifting of 25-30 pounds may be required. Traveling may be required.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent from an accredited college or university with a major in Computer Science, GIS, Planning, or related field, and five years of advanced experience in GIS or an equivalent combination of education and experience that sufficiently demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position. One year of experience in a lead or supervisory role is desired, but not required. Must successfully complete comprehensive background check. Must have or be able to obtain upon employment a valid AZ driver’s license.
Apply online here
City of Cottonwood
821 N Main
Cottonwood, AZ, 86326 USA
Posted 2023-01-18 under Information Technology