Resumes by Category
Contract & Freelance
Sales & Marketing
Web & Internet
GISjobs.com It All Starts Here
Lincoln, NE, USA
Getachew B. Demisse, Ph.D.
3310 Holdrege Street, 716 Hardin Hall, Lincoln, NE 68503 ♦ (402) 601-4260 ♦ firstname.lastname@example.org
School of Natural Resources, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Ph.D. Information Systems (Major - Geographic Information Systems), 2013, Addis Ababa University- Addis Ababa
Dissertation title: Knowledge Discovery from Satellite Images for Drought Monitoring.
Advisors: Prof. Tsegaye Tadesse, Prof. Solomon Atnafu, Prof. Shawndra Hill.
- Master of Science: Geo-information Science and Earth Observation (Major - GIS and Remote Sensing), 2006,
International Institute for Geo-information Science and Earth Observation, ITC, Enschede, Netherland
Thesis title: Spatial Distribution of Savannah Woody Species Biodiversity in Serowe, Botswana.
Advisor: Prof. Yousif Hussin.
• Postdoctoral Researcher, 05/2016 to Current, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, NE
-Perform geospatial analysis for drought model development and implementation
-Implement data mining pattern extraction for drought modeling
-Perform machine learning for developing drought model
-Develop forest drought indicator (ForDRI) model using multiple data sources from satellite, climate and biophysical parameters for forest drought and fire monitoring, funded by U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA)
-Collaborated with web developers for mapping and distributing drought products
-Investigated and developed Java based data mining attribute selection approach for drought prediction (https://arxiv.org/abs/1708.05072)
-Investigated and developed drought information mining approach (https://www.mdpi.com/2078-2489/8/3/79)
-Improved Vegetation Drought Index (VegDRI) (http://vegdri.unl.edu/) using satellite remote sensing MODIS Aqua Collect 6 NDVI data sets, resulting in a 20% increase in information accuracy, funded by U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA)
-Developed new drought prediction model for Greater Horn of Africa Vegetation outlook (VegOut-GHA) (http://drought.unl.edu/NewsOutreach/Outreach/Workshops/NasaEthiopia2015.aspx), funded by National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
-Developed a weekly temporal resolution near real-time flash drought monitoring tool for Continental United States (http://quickdri.unl.edu/Project-Team) - Quick Drought Response Index (QuickDRI) (http://quickdridev.unl.edu/), funded by National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
-Collaborated in new drought monitoring tool development for Agri-Food Canada - VegDRI-Canada (http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/15481603.2017.1286728), funded by Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
• Research Scientist, 8/2015 – 2/2016, National Drought Mitigation Center, University of Nebraska, Lincoln
-Performed geospatial analysis for drought model development
-Developed artificial neural network (ANN)-based attribute filtering approach(http://dx.doi.org/10.4172/2327-4581.1000132), funded by National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
•GIS data analyst, 07/2013 to 05/2016, Climate Science Center, Addis Ababa University– Addis Ababa
- Project lead a team of 3 developers, funded by the United Kingdom’s UKaid and the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Designed and developed SQL Server and ASP.NET based data sharing center
- Advised data sharing center for students and researchers
- Installed and maintained GEONETCast near-real time data reception system
• Assistant Professor, 07/2013 to 05/2016, Addis Ababa University– Addis Ababa
-Developed curriculum and taught the following courses:
-Principles of Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Fundamentals of Remote Sensing, Application of GIS and Remote Sensing, Spatial Analysis, Open Source GIS and Programming, Environmental Modeling, GIS Programming for Advanced Spatial Analysis and Modeling
• Research Scientist, 07/2011 – 01/2012, National Drought Mitigation Center, University of Nebraska, Lincoln.
- Developed monthly drought prediction model
- Evaluated satellite-based seasonal evapotranspiration product for U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) Earth Resources Observation and Science (EROS) Center (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0303243415000604), funded by USGS
• Lecturer, 09/2006 to 07/2013, HiLCoE School Of Computer Science And Technology– Addis Ababa
- Developed curriculum and taught - Geographic Information Systems, Advanced application development - ArcObjects model
CERTIFICATES AND SHORT TERM TRAINING
• Certificate in Windows Programming Using C#, January 2015
• Certificate in Remote Sensing with Emphasis to Radar Technology for water resources assessment and management, July 7 – 18, 2014.
• Certificate in GEONETCAST for Natural and Water Resources Management, AAU-Dep’t. Geography/IWMI/ITC, 1-12 November 2010.
• Certificate in GIS and Remote Sensing for the Use of Low cost Earth Observation Data in Environmental and Climate Monitoring Application, AMESD-Rwanda, 5–16 October 2009.
• Certificate in Geo-information for Food Security, Department of Geography, University of Johannesburg, South Africa, 2-6 April 2007.
• Certificate in Operating Video Cameras and Filming, March 2001.
• Certificate in Computer Science, Ethio Computer Training, 2000.
APPLICATIONS AND PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES
• GIS software - ArcMap, ArcCatalog, ArcGIS Online, QGIS
• Remote Sensing software - ERDAS, eCogntion, MapCubist, ILWIS
• Data mining software - Weka, RuleQuest Regression Tree, Cubist 2.02
• Microsoft SQL Server, PostgreSQL, GeoServer
• Microsoft Visual Studio 2013
• Python, R, C, C++, C#, ASP.NET, Java
PEER REVIEWED JOURNALS
1. Demisse, G., Tadesse, T., Wall, N., Haigh, T., Bayissa, Y. and Shiferaw, A. (2018). Linking seasonal drought product information to decision makers in a data-sparse region: A case study in the Greater Horn of Africa. Remote Sensing Applications: Society and Environment. ARTICLE IN PRESS, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rsase.2018.03.005.
2. Demisse, G., Tadesse, T., Bayissa, Y., Atnafu, S., Argaw, M. and Nedaw, D. (2018): Vegetation condition prediction for drought monitoring in pastoralist areas: a case study in Ethiopia, International Journal of Remote Sensing, DOI: 10.1080/01431161.2017.1421797.
3. Demisse, G., Tadesse, T. and Bayissa, Y. (2017). Data Mining Attribute Selection Approach for Drought Modeling: A Case Study for Greater Horn of Africa, International Journal of Data Mining & Knowledge Management Process (IJDKP), Vol. 7, No.4, DOI: 10.5121/ijdkp.2017.7401.
4. Demisse, G., Tadesse, T., Atnafu, S., Hill, S., Wardlow, B.D., Bayissa, Y., and Shiferaw, A. (2017). Information Mining from Heterogeneous Data Sources: A Case Study on Drought Predictions, Information, Vol. 8, No.3; doi: 10.3390/info8030079.
5. Bayissa, Y., Tadesse, T., Demisse, G., Shiferaw, A. (2017). Evaluation of Satellite-Based Rainfall Estimates and Application to Monitor Meteorological Drought for the Upper Blue Nile Basin, Ethiopia, Remote Sensing, Vol. 9, doi:10.3390/rs9070669.
6. Tadesse, T., Champagne, C., Wardlow, B.D., Hadwen, T.A., Brown, J.F., Demisse, G.B., Bayissa, Y.A. and Davidson, A.M. (2017). Building the vegetation drought response index for Canada (VegDRI-Canada) to monitor agricultural drought: first results. GIScience & Remote Sensing, 54(2), pp.230-257.
7. Workineh, G., Demisse, G., Nedaw, D. (2016). Evaluation of Surface Energy Balance System (SEBS) Model for Estimation of Evapotranspiration in Eastern Ethiopia. Journal of Resources Development and Management, vol. 25, pp. 52 – 59.
8. Hundera, H., Demisse, G. B., Weldeamlak, B. (2016). Remote Sensing and GIS Based Agricultural Drought Risk Assessment in East Shewa Zone, Central Rift Valley Region of Ethiopia. Journal of Environment and Earth Science, vol. 6(7), pp. 48 - 54. http://www.iiste.org/Journals/index.php/JEES/article/view/31895.
9. Eshetie, S. M., Demisse, G., Suryabhagavan, K. (2016). Evaluation of Vegetation Indices for Agricultural Drought Monitoring in East Amhara, Ethiopia. International Journal of Scientific Research, vol. 5, pp. 535 – 540.
10. Tesfay, A., Demisse, G., and Asfaw, M. (2016), Developing Conceptual Land Grade Model for Bench Mark Lease Price Determination using Fuzzy Analytical Hierarchy Process and GIS Approach: A Case of Woldiya City, Ethiopia, Civil and Environmental Research, Vol.8, No.5, pp. 20 – 35.
11. Tadesse, T., Tonya, H., Nicole, W., Andualem, S., Zaitchik., B., Shimelis, B., Demisse, G., and Jacob, P. (2016), Linking Seasonal Predictions into Decision-making and Disaster Management in the Greater Horn of Africa, Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 2016 ; e-View doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1175/BAMS-D-15-00269.1.
12. Girma, T., Mirgissa, K., Adugna, W., Wakgari, D., Belay, S., Abera, K., and Demisse, G. (2015), Modeling effect of climate variability on malaria in Ethiopia, Ethiopian Journal of Health Development, vol. 29 (3), pp. 183-196, e-View: http://ejhd.org/index.php/ejhd/article/view/346.
13. Demisse, G., Tadesse, T, and Atnafu, S. (2015), Drought Spatial Object Prediction Approach using Artificial Neural Network, Geoinformatics & Geostatistics: An Overview, vol. 3, pp. 1 – 7, http://dx.doi.org/10.4172/2327-4581.1000132.
14. Tadesse, T., Senay, G., Demisse, G., Teshome, R., and Shimelis, .B. (2015). Evaluating a satellite-based seasonal evapotranspiration product and identifying its relationship with other satellite-derived products and crop yield: A case study for Ethiopia, International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation, vol. 40, pp. 39–54.
15. Demisse, G., Shawndra, H., Tadesse. T., and Solomon, A. (2014). Drought Prediction System for Improved Climate Change Mitigation, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, vol. 52(7), pp. 4032 - 4037, DOI 10.1109/TGRS.2013.2279020.
16. Tadesse, T., Demisse, G., Zaitchik, B. and Dinku, T. (2014). Satellite-based Hybrid Drought Monitoring Tool for Prediction of Vegetation Condition in Eastern Africa: A Case Study for Ethiopia, Water Resources Research, 01/2014; DOI: 10.1002/2013WR014281.
17. Negash, S. and Demisse, G. (2013), Mobile early drought warning system, Global Journal on Advances in Pure & Applied Sciences, Vol. 1, pp 622-626. http://www.world-education-center.org/index.php/paas.
18. Demisse, G., Tadesse, T., Solomon, A., Hill, S., and Yitaktu, T. (2012), Normalized Difference Vegetation Index and Standard Precipitation Index Parameters to Monitor Drought at National Scale: The Case of Ethiopia," Ethiopian Journal of Development Research, vol. 34, pp. 67 - 94.
19. Demisse, G., Hill, S., Tadesse, T., and, Solomon, A. (2011), Using Satellite Images for Drought Monitoring: A Knowledge Discovery Approach, Journal of Strategic Innovation and Sustainability, vol. 7, pp. 135 - 153.
20. Demisse, G. and Taye, B. (2006), Population structure and spatial distribution of four woody medicinal plants in Bonga Forest, Ethiopia, Journal of Natural Resources, vol. 8, pp. 19 - 38.
PEER REVIEWED TEXTBOOK
Demisse, G. (2012) GIS and Remote Sensing for Mapping Species Spatial Distributions: GIS and Remote Sensing for Natural Resources Management, ISBN : 9783846542125 / 3846542121, https://www.amazon.com/Sensing-Mapping-Species-Spatial-Distributions/dp/3846542121.
PEER REVIEWED BOOK CHAPTER
Demisse, G., Tadesse, T., Solomon, A., and Hill, S. (2010), Drought Monitoring in- Food-Insecure Areas of Ethiopia by Using Satellite Technologies, in Experience of Climate Change Adaptation in Africa, Climate Change Management, DOI: 10.1007/978-3-642-22315-0_11, W. L. Filho, Ed., 2010, pp. 1145 - 1162.
PEER REVIEWED PROCEEDINGS
1. Demisse, G., Tadesse, T.; Solomon, A., and Hill, S. (2013). Drought information mining from satellite images for improved climate change mitigation, Information and Communication Technologies (WICT-IEEE), 2012 World Congress, October 30, 2012 - November 2, 2012, pp. 197 – 202, ISBN: 978-1-4673-4806-5, DOI: 10.1109/WICT.2012.6409074.
2. Demisse, G., Tadesse, T., Solomon, A. and Hill, S. (2011). Drought Object Modeling for Climate Change Mitigation: The Case of Ethiopia, in Building Software in the Developing World, Proceedings of the 1st EICTF October 27, 2011, Addis Ababa: Ethiopian ICT Forum, 2011.
3. Demisse, G., Solomon, A. and Hill, S., and Anat, Z. (2010). Knowledge Discovery from Satellite Images for Drought Monitoring in Food Insecure Areas, in Americas Conference on Information Systems (AMCIS) 2010 Conference Proceeding: AMCIS.
4. Hill, S., Anita, Demisse, G., and Nathan, E. (2010). Reality Mining Africa, Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence, www.aaai.org.
5. Demisse, G., Solomon, N., and Amoroso, D. (2009). Determinants of Business Process Management for Successful Project Implementation in Low Income Countries, AMCIS 2009 Proceedings. Paper 41, http://aisel.aisnet.org/amcis2009/41/.
6. Demisse, G., Hussin, Y.A., van Duren, I., Lubczynski, M. and Obakeng, O.T. (2006), Remote Sensing and Geostatistics for the assessment of spatial distribution of savannah woody species biodiversity for up-scaling transpiration in Serowe, Botswana, in: 6th International Conference on Earth Observation & Geoinformation Science in Support of Africa’s Development, Cairo, Egypt.
ABSTRACTS FOR PROFESSIONAL MEETING
- Demisse, G. (2015) Improving Temporal Resolutions of Drought Predictions Using Knowledge Discovery from Database Approach, AGU CHAPMAN CONFERENCE, Irvine, California, U.S.A., 20 – 22 April, 2015, https://agu.confex.com/agu/15chapman1/webprogram/Paper33467.html, https://agu.confex.com/agu/15chapman1/webprogram/allauthors.html
You must be a registered/logged in employer to contact job seekers.
Posted 2018-11-23 under Geospatial