GISjobs.com It All Starts Here
GIS Director - Puyallup Tribe of Indians
Tacoma, WA, USA
PUYALLUP TRIBE OF INDIANS
Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Director
CLOSES: October 9, 2020 at 8:59 p.m. PST
REPORTS TO: ADMINISTRATIVE MANAGER
HOURS: 40 HOURS/WEEK – FULL TIME
SALARY: DOQ + BENEFITS*
REQUISITION #: 187
*The Puyallup Tribe of Indians provides a generous benefits package that includes employer paid medical, dental, and vision, life insurance, a retirement/401(k) plan with profit sharing, paid holidays, and paid time off including birthday leave.
Plans, designs, administers, implements, and maintains the operation of the Tribe’s GIS.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Responsible for the proper storage, management, analysis and display of the Tribe’s spatial data.
2. Consults with the tribal administrator and other department directors to analyze their GIS needs. Plans and executes the implementation of the Tribe’s GIS system to meet those needs and the needs of the GIS department.
3. Supervises GIS staff and conducts performance evaluations.
4. Oversees the preparation of GIS products and deliverables.
5. Oversees the acquisition, and management of any non-Tribal spatial data necessary for the efficient running of the Tribe’s GIS.
6. Prepares the annual GIS departmental budget. Understands budget preparation, justification, and monitoring.
7. Develops and implements policies, standards, and procedures regarding GIS, automated mapping activities, and other related subjects.
8. Prepares periodic reports of pertinent information concerning GIS activities and communicates information regarding GIS activities to both technical and non-technical staff members.
9. Oversees the selection, acquisition, upgrade and installation of all GIS hardware and software.
10. Trains GIS staff and other Tribal employees on the use of enterprise, desktop, web and field GIS.
11. Implements intergovernmental relationships for GIS data acquisition and/or exchange.
12. Develops and maintains ethical and professional relationships with key vendors in an effort to obtain added value to the Puyallup Tribe of Indians.
13. Contributes to a favorable public image of the Tribe by establishing and maintaining relationships and participation in the GIS community..
14. Performs other duties as assigned.
Supervises GIS employees. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the Puyallup Tribe of Indians personnel policies and procedures, and all applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, coaching and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding, recognizing and counseling employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) or equivalent; and six years related experience working with GIS; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Masters in GIS, Geography, Cartography or related field is preferred.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write reports and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Licenses or Certificates
Must have a valid and unrestricted Washington State Driver’s License. Driver’s License must not contain any restrictions that would otherwise prevent an employee from driving a GSA vehicle.
GISP certification preferred but not required.
FAA certified Remote Pilot License preferred.
Able to pass a Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) background check employment and periodically throughout employment.
Other Skills or Abilities:
Experience in GIS Management: strategic planning, system design, policy development, metadata and process documentation, creation of training plans and other tasks associated with administering a small to medium sized GIS.
Experience with Personnel and Project Management: administering a department, supervising staff, budgeting, conflict resolution, and time and workload management.
Broad experience in GIS: cartography, spatial analysis, data acquisition, database development and management, web mapping and application development, and the development of automation routines through Model Builder and Python programming.
Experience in ESRI platforms: ArcGIS Enterprise/Portal on MS SQL Server, ArcGIS Desktop (ArcGIS, ArcGIS Pro), ArcGIS Online and ESRI’s field data collection apps (Collector, Survey 123 and Quick Capture).
Experience applying GIS to a wide number of disciplines: Cadastre, Planning, Natural Resources, Law Enforcement, Cultural Resources, Social Services and Facilities Management.
Experience working within or alongside tribal governments and staff.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Requires the ability to operate a personal computer, multi-line telephone, calculator, facsimile and photocopier.
• Requires the ability to read, write, communicate, and interpret information accurately in English.
• Requires the ability to concentrate and consistently produce accurate work.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
• The employee occasionally is required to stand and walk.
• The employee is occasionally required to stand and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
• The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• The noise level is low to moderate.
• The physical exertion is low to moderate.
• Work is performed in an office setting.
• There are frequent employee contacts and interruptions during the day.
• Position may be stressful at times due to the sensitive or confidential issues being addressed.
The Puyallup Tribe of Indians reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
INDIAN PREFERENCE EMPLOYER AS REQUIRED BY LAW
H O W T O A P P L Y:
Apply online at https://usr58.dayforcehcm.com/CandidatePortal/en-US/ptoiad or visit the Puyallup Tribe’s website at http://www.puyalluptribe-nsn.gov/ and select the Employment tab at the top of the page.
Online Application Tips:
1. If you are using a MAC, use Safari. If you are using a PC, use Internet Explorer.
2. Do not use a mobile cellular device.
3. Upload additional documents (resume, cover letter, reference letters, proof of Indian blood, etc.) to the ‘upload resume’ tab as one (1) PDF file or email documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include copies of any required degrees and/or certificates.
4. Indian Hiring Preference – If selecting a native category (native, spouse, descendant), send in the appropriate documentation. If you have any questions about the hiring preference policy or what document to send in, contact us.
5. Provide 3+ references. We cannot obtain references from direct family members (parents, grandparents, siblings, or children). One reference must be a recent past or present supervisor. We prefer the rest of your references to include co-workers, subordinates, or other supervisors, but we can accept a personal reference from someone who is familiar with your work ethic, skills/abilities, and attendance.
6. To add more employment, references, education, etc., click on the small blue + sign in the upper right corner of the page.
7. When entering salaries, use only numbers. Do not use any other characters (such as , . or $).
8. After you submit your application, you will receive an email confirmation. If you do not receive an email, please call the office to confirm submission.
If you have any questions about the online application, please call (253) 573-7863 or email email@example.com.
Apply online here
The Puyallup Tribe of Indians
3009 E. Portland Ave
Tacoma, WA, 98404 USA
Posted 2020-09-22 under Manager