Jobs by Category
Web & Internet
GISjobs.com It All Starts Here
Santa Monica, CA, USA
Salary:$105,084.00 - $129,732.00 Annually
Location:City of Santa Monica, CA
Job Type: Full-Time Regular
Remote Employment: Flexible/Hybrid
Job Number: 221137-02
Closing:11/21/2022 5:30 PM Pacific
Designs, analyzes, and maintains the City's enterprise Geographic Information System (GIS) program and contributes to GIS projects. Responsible for overall administration of GIS environment.
• Receives general supervision from assigned supervisory or management personnel. Technical direction may be provided to temporary staff.
• Creates and maintains GIS data, layers, maps, interactive maps, services and 3D assets.
• Performs geospatial data analysis resulting in maps, applications, reports and/or models.
• Maintains GIS data via Esri product suite.
• Emits GIS data via Esri product suite, freeware tools, online mapping tools, and other third-party products across all applicable mediums (including smartphones, tablets, desktop computers and paper.)
• Collects, analyzes, and provides services related to customer GIS application and data requests.
• Digitizes customer supplied information.
• Trains and assists system users in new and existing GIS applications.
• Oversees work of consultants and contractors.
• Assists in determining system requirements.
• Evaluates, installs, and maintains GIS software and databases.
• Assists in evaluation, selection, deployment, and management of Commercial Off The Shelf (COTS) products.
• Ensures City’s Emergency Operations Center is equipped with optimal GIS capabilities.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Modern Geographic Information Systems (GIS) tools and concepts, 3D GIS tools, data, and applications
• Modern GIS-centric scripting tools
• Cartography and remote sensing methodologies
• Principles of GIS data management
• Project management methodologies
• Business productivity products
• Databases (relational and NoSQL)
• Effective customer service techniques
• Develop interactive GIS maps and applications using modern programming tools
• Assist in the development of location-aware websites and applications via GIS web data services
• Synthesize customer stated requirements, questions, problems, and translate into technical terms and work products
• Analyze technical problems and recommend, design, and/or implement appropriate solutions
• Provide GIS technical support to City staff and the public
• Complete assignments in an accurate and timely manner
• Conduct research and analysis yielding sound GIS technology solutions and recommendations
• Create technical documents, user guides, and help documents in print and on the web.
• Maintain mastery of modern GIS principles and technologies
• Manage the GIS needs of the City’s Emergency Operations Center
• Communicate effectively with the public and with City employees, both orally and in writing
• Provide effective customer service
• Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with City employees and the general public
• Conduct GIS related oral presentations to diverse audiences
• Integrate GIS applications with the 3rd party systems such as low code development platform and/or public website.
Geospatial data analysis, transformations, and maintenance
Developing and/or deploying online interactive mapping services
Collaborating with data experts, developers, and/or customers to deliver GIS services and/or data
Requirement gathering and analysis
Technical troubleshooting and problem solving.
Developing in modern GIS-centric scripting languages
Presenting complex technical concepts to a variety of audiences
Serving broad customers audiences, including public safety personnel
Project management and implementation of information systems
Managing multiple projects simultaneously
Building and nurturing local GIS community
Data analysis and dashboarding
GIS integrations and APIs
Other mapping/geospatial technologies
Education: A master’s degree from an accredited college or university in information systems, computer science, computer technology, geography, or closely related field.
Experience: One year of recent, paid experience designing, implementing, and maintaining GIS data and applications.
Education: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in information systems, computer science, computer technology, geography or closely related field.
Experience: Three years of recent, paid experience in designing, implementing, and maintaining GIS data and applications
Licenses and Certificates:
Possession of a valid Class C driver’s license or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions.
How to Apply: https://apptrkr.com/3592913
Applicants must submit a clear, concise, completed on-line City Application along with any required supplemental application materials with the Human Resources Department by the filing deadline. If you do not submit your on-line application by the filing deadline, you will not be considered for this position. Please note, applications may be rejected if incomplete. Resumes, CVs and cover letters are not reviewed as part of the application screening process.
If you would like for your education to be considered, you must attach a copy of your college level transcripts or diploma to your online application. Applicants who indicate receipt of college level coursework or degree from a foreign institution must provide United States credential equivalency verification along with a copy of your college diploma/transcripts. All materials must be received in the Human Resources Department no later than the filing deadline. Failure to do so may result in your application being evaluated without the education being considered.
All applicants must submit clear, concise and complete information regarding your work history and qualifications for the position. All applicants will be reviewed and only those applicants determined to be most qualified on the basis of experience, training and education, as submitted, will be invited to participate further in the selection process.
Testing may consist of any of the following: written test, performance test, evaluation of qualifications, oral interview, or any combination of these.
If three or more qualified City employees apply and pass the examination, a promotional list will be established in addition to an open-competitive list. If fewer than three qualified City employees pass the examination, the appointing authority, in accordance with the City's civil service rules and regulations, can decline to use a promotional list, in which case a promotional list will not be established for this position.
Candidates who have successfully completed all prior phases of the selection process will be subject to a thorough background investigation.
COVID 19 Vaccination:
Proof of COVID 19 vaccination will be required as a condition of employment unless a religious or medical/disability exemption is granted by the City.
Inclusion & Diversity Statement
The City of Santa Monica is a progressive, inclusive and culturally-rich community. As leaders in public service, we strive to be an employer of choice by attracting and retaining a highly-talented workforce where people of diverse races, religions, cultures and lifestyles thrive. Our goal is to create a welcoming and inclusive environment where our staff are empowered to perform at their highest level and where their differences make a positive impact.
The City is an equal opportunity employer and strives to build balanced teams from all walks of life without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, ancestry, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state and/or local law. We aim to create a workplace that celebrates and embraces the diversity of our employees. Join us!
Special assistance with the application and examination process is available, upon request, for persons with disabilities. Call (310) 458-8246, TDD (310) 458-8696 (Hearing Impaired Only).
Please note the request for reasonable accommodations must be made to Human Resources at least three work days prior to the examination.
Apply online here
City of Santa Monica
Santa Monica, CA, 90401 USA
Posted 2022-11-01 under Analyst