GISjobs.com It All Starts Here
Geographic Information Systems Specialist - Facilities Infor
Champaign, IL, USA
Geographic Information Systems Specialist - Facilities Information Resources
Facilities and Services
University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign
Facilities & Services (F&S) at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is accepting applications for a Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Specialist. Under the general supervision of the Facilities Information Management Coordinator, this position is responsible for managing the day-to-day operations and assisting with the development of GIS in Facilities and Services. The GIS Specialist is also responsible for production work involving maintenance of our ArcGIS Enterprise database, creation of GIS products and services and GPS data collection. In addition, the GIS Specialist will provide expertise, knowledge and a high degree of technical skill related to the field of geographic information science. The GIS Specialist will be responsible for developing strategies to help manage and maintain Facilities Information Resources GIS data, coordinate cross-unit initiatives to standardize access controls, implement standards and procedures for maintaining GIS data and collaborate closely with staff across multiple Facilities & Services units including University personnel.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Manage and maintain Facilities Information Resource ArcGIS Enterprise Database.
2. Work closely with Energy Services, Utility Distribution Staff managing, documenting and maintaining the University's utility distribution systems GIS data.
3. Assist with the development, implementation and maintenance of custom GIS workflows and tools using Model Builder, Python, or other scripting languages.
4. Utilize Esri's suite of ArcGIS software applications with relational databases including MS Access and SQL Server.
5. Assist with the development of client Esri ArcGIS web applications and services.
6. Develop custom maps for Facilities Information Resource's, F&S and campus customers.
7. Assist with coordinating cross-unit initiatives to standardize controls and access to GIS related resources.
8. Use Global Positioning System (GPS) equipment to collect data.
9. Conduct fieldwork to verify facility management information.
10. Supervise student staff, prioritize work.
11. Train staff on use of GIS applications.
12. Coordinate with the Champaign County GIS Consortium and Cities of Champaign and Urbana on GIS datasets and initiatives.
13. Assume appropriate related additional duties to further the mission of the unit.
Bachelor's degree required in Geographic Information Science (GIS), Computer Science, or field related to the position.
Required Work Experience:
1 year of experience working with Geographic Information Systems, Esri ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS Enterprise.
Preferred Work Experience:
1. 2 years or more of experience working with Geographic Information Systems, ESRI ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS Enterprise Experience deploying and/or using Esri mobile applications including: Collector, Explorer, and Survey 1234.
3. Experience with Trimble GPS units and office software.
4. Experience working across multiple organizational levels. Basic understanding of large-scale utility distribution systems.
Successful candidates will have the following:
1. Knowledge and understanding of basic geographic information systems management functions.
2. Working knowledge of Microsoft office suite Excel, Access, Word and PowerPoint.
3. Excellent organization skills; ability to prioritize workload, work independently with minimum supervision, and take initiative.
4. Basic computer skills and the ability to learn new software and computer systems.
5. Strong customer service values and skills.
6. Creative problem solving skills.
SALARY AND APPOINTMENT INFORMATION:
This is a full-time Information Technology Technical Associate position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after July 7, 2019. Salary is commensurate with experience.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES AND DEADLINE INFORMATION:
Applications must be received by July 7, 2019. Apply for this position using the "Apply for Position" button below. If you have not applied before, you must create your candidate profile at jobs.illinois.edu. If you already have a profile, you may be redirected to that existing profile via email notification. To complete the application process:
Step 1) Submit the Staff Vacancy Application.
Step 2) Submit the Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability forms.
Step 3) Upload your cover letter, resume (months and years of employment must be included), academic credentials (unofficial transcripts or diploma may be acceptable), and names/contact information for three references.
In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for the position using the "Apply for Position" button below. Applications not submitted through this website will not be considered. For further information about the position, you may contact Keri Frederick, 217-300-1575 or email@example.com. For questions regarding the application process, please contact 217-333-2137.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
Apply online here
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
1706 Weatherwood Court
San Marcos, CA, 92078 USA
Posted 2019-06-07 under Education