GISjobs.com It All Starts Here
Charlottesville, VA, USA
Founded in 2009, Apex Clean Energy is an independent renewable energy company focused on bringing utility-scale generation facilities to market, from site origination and financing to turnkey construction and long-term asset management. With a team of over 200 professionals and the nation’s largest wind energy project portfolio, Apex is a leader in the transition to a clean energy future. For more information, visit www.apexcleanenergy.com.
Apex strives to excel in every phase of project realization. Our mission-driven team seeks determined, resolute individuals who strive to innovate and go above the call of duty, and who will relentlessly do their part to help accelerate the shift to America’s clean energy future.
The Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Specialist produces analysis and maps to support the development and construction of energy projects. Additionally, the GIS Specialist also supports discipline or subject matter specific GIS operations or analysis and support. Daily tasks in this role focus on the consistent operations necessary for preparation and completion of spatial analysis and cartographic products. These discipline specific operations may include project prospecting and origination, lease management and land administration, permitting activities, the siting of equipment and infrastructure on projects, and the overall visualization of projects to support design and optimization of projects.
Our ideal candidate will come in to this role with a genuine interest in renewable energy, education in a related field, and experience in a GIS-specific role. You have a solid track record of exemplary teamwork and enjoy working on a dynamic and diverse cross-departmental team. You seize the opportunity to collaborate with colleagues and you thrive in an environment that requires flexibility and adaptation to constant change, shifting demands, and moving timelines. You are driven, analytical, and a personable self-starter who can independently complete tasks on schedule. You have strong communication, presentation, and computer skills and can form, write, and present a coherent argument using facts and fact-based opinions following detailed analysis.
Hours: Full Time
• Performing GIS analysis operations as supervised by the GIS Analyst or manager and/or leading discipline specific GIS
• Designing, developing, implementing tools for enhancing the discipline specific GIS, by improving efficiencies and automating workflows
• Creating, developing, and maintaining web GIS content, including map services, feature services, web maps, and web applications, with ESRI products, to support discipline specific GIS.
• Assisting Analysts in data capture, digitization, data mining, and quality control of data required to perform project specific GIS requests.
• Creating, updating, and managing content within discipline specific GIS databases.
• Manipulating GIS data to create information products to meet discipline specific requests.
• Serving as the GIS technical lead and point of contact on subject specific GIS.
• Work cross-departmentally to maintain clear communication and smooth collaboration at all stages of the project development process
• Facilitate data conversions from AutoCAD to ArcGIS file formats. Experience with AutoCAD is helpful, but the majority of work will be performed in ESRI’s suite of GIS products
• Travel to sites, minimal if any
To succeed as a GIS Specialist at Apex Clean Energy, you’ll need to display excellence within the following criteria:
• Bachelor's degree in Geography, Natural Resources, Planning, Engineering, Business Administration, or a related technical discipline from an accredited university or college.
• 1 years’ experience in a GIS-specific role, preferably in an energy related field.
• Prior experience with ESRI suite of applications as well as other GIS applications and competency in Python or other basic programming languages related to typical GIS
• Experience with AutoCAD (preferred)
• Confirmed ability to work collaboratively within multi-disciplinary teams.
• Strong organization skills and ability to handle time to meet frequently changing deadlines in a rapidly changing environment
• Articulate with the ability to assist with management, client, and public presentations
• Exceptional planning and organizational skills
• Exceptional written and oral communication skills
• Strong passion for renewable energy
• Exemplary standards of safety, honor, ethics, quality, communication, and productivity.
• Willing to work from our headquarters in Charlottesville, VA (post COVID-19).
Apply online here