GISjobs.com It All Starts Here
Geodetic Analyst/Instructor, GIS Training & Research Center
Pocatello, ID, USA
Geodetic Analyst/Instructor, GIS Training & Research Center (1282)
Posting Number: req1049
Working 12 months per year
Office for Research
Pocatello - Main
This position will support the GIS TRECís long standing geodetic coordination project with Idaho Transportation Department (ITD) and the National Geodetic Survey (NGS). The goal of the geodetic coordination project is to make strides toward modernizing and maintaining the National Spatial Reference System (NSRS) and meet the needs of the National Spatial Data Infrastructure (NSDI) throughout Idaho. In addition, this position will advance the geospatial education and research capabilities at Idaho State University (ISU) for both undergraduate and graduate students and provide education outreach to the geospatial professional community.
The successful candidate will report to ISUís GIS Director and serve as the point of contact for questions and guidance regarding geodesy and geodetic control in the State of Idaho. The individual will be a resource providing geodetic guidance to any licensed Professional Land Surveyor or other geospatial professional working in Idaho. The individual will help maintain the Multi-state Control Point Database (MCPD). The successful candidate will have demonstrated expertise in understanding, communicating, and working with geospatial data, geodetic data/applications, as well as land surveying and will:
1. Coordinate/facilitate the :
a. Perpetuation and maintenance of NGS horizontal control points and vertical benchmarks for Idaho.This includes using Translev and WinDesc software to finalize submittals to the NGS.
b. Planning of geodetic control projects in partnership with ITD.
c. Development of standards for field surveys using GNSS and digital leveling technologies.
d. Establishment, maintenance, and training in calibration baselines with the ITD.
e. Stewardship of geodetic control data submitted to ISU for the MCPD.
2. Provide on-site consultation for Idaho Professional Land Surveyors (PLS).
3. Assist in the installation and maintenance of additional GPS/GNSS base stations in Idaho.
4. Maintain knowledge and skills though continued education in professional land surveying and geodesy.
5. Participate in the annual Idaho Society of Professional Land Surveyors conference.
The successful candidate will participate in geospatial research involving technologies such as Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS), , Terrestrial Laser Scanning (TLS), and/or other related studies and be able to obtain external funding for such research. The successful candidate must be able to develop and offer geodetic and/or related geospatial workshops or courses and maintain active service at the GIS Training and Research Center, the University and the broader community.
Minimum requirements include BS in Geodesy, Geomatics, GIS, Engineering, Surveying, or closely related discipline and minimum two years of experience.
Preference will be given to candidates with:
1. Demonstrated expertise in geodesy.
2. Professional Land Surveyor Professional Land Surveyor (PLS) licensure or the ability to obtain Professional Land
Surveyor (PLS) license in the State of Idaho within two years of appointment.
3. MS in Geodesy, Geomatics, GIS, Engineering, Surveying, or closely related discipline.
4. PhD in Geodesy, Geomatics, GIS, Engineering, Surveying, or closely related discipline.
5. Demonstrated experience teaching and conducting original research in the fields of land surveying, geodesy, or related geospatial science.
6. Expertise and recent experience successfully submitting field data to the NGS for geodetic leveling work, including the use of Transley and WinDesc software and having reset monuments published.
7. GIS Professional Certification (GISP)
8. Expertise/working knowledge in one or more of the following areas:
a. Use of geotechnologies software/hardware (e.g... Trimble and/or Leica GPS/GNSS receivers, Terrestrial Laser Scanning equipment, and Esriís ArcGIS Pro) for resolving highly accurate positioning.
b. Understanding of control point network
c. CAD NSDI, and/or Geographic Coordinate Database (GCDB).
d. Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
e. Ability to teach graduate and/or undergraduate courses.
Apply online at https://isu.csod.com/ats/careersite/JobDetails.aspx?id=1049&site=1
Please submit the following documents with your application:
1) a curriculum vitae (CV) or resume with names and contact information of three professional references and 2) a cover letter describing how your qualifications and experience have prepared you for this position along with a statement of your career goals.
The position will remain open until filled. Competitive salaried 12-month contract up to $52,758 annually, commensurate with qualifications. An excellent benefits package is also provided, which includes a generous retirement package, exceptional medical/dental insurance, and tuition reduction benefits for employees, spouses, and dependents. Offers of employment may be conditional pending successful completion of a background investigation.
Idaho State University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We have an institution-wide commitment to inclusion and diversity and encourage all qualified individuals to apply. Veterans' preference. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to individuals with disabilities.
Apply online here
Posted 2021-04-01 under Education