GISjobs.com It All Starts Here
Washington, DC, USA
American Farmland Trust (AFT) is the only national organization that takes a holistic approach to agriculture, focusing on the land itself, how that land is farmed or grazed, and the farmers and ranchers who do the work. Since our founding in 1980, AFT has helped permanently protect over 6.5 million acres of agricultural lands, advanced environmentally-sound farming practices on millions of additional acres and helped thousands of farm families make a go of it (primarily through programs that increase farm viability and/or enhance farmland access).
American Farmland Trust (AFT) is the nation's leading nonprofit organization dedicated to saving the land that sustains us by protecting farmland, promoting sound farming practices, and keeping farmers on the land. The Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Manager will help staff compile and analyze spatial data to better target the long-term protection of the nations agricultural resources and provide tools and spatial products that help staff, communities and states take action to protect these resources. The GIS specialist will report to AFTs Research Director and work closely with program staff and Conservation Science Partners, a nonprofit scientific collective that provides the high-quality spatial analytical analyses behind AFTs Farms Under Threat (FUT) initiative (https://www.farmland.org/initiatives/farms-under-threat). AFT currently maintains offices in Washington, DC; Northampton, MA; DeKalb, IL; Sacramento, CA; Sebastopol, CA; Saratoga Springs, NY; and Seattle, WA.
Location: Preferably the GIS Manager will be based in either the AFT office in Northampton, Massachusetts or Washington, D.C. with options to work remotely.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Build and expand the internal GIS capabilities for American Farmland Trust
• Coordinate data exchange and analyses products with geospatial mapping partners. Our geospatial mapping partners are responsible for the advanced geospatial and remote sensing analyses that form the framework for AFTs Farms Under Threat initiative.
• Help respond to external requests for data related to Farms Under Threat analyses.
• Assist with spatial analyses that could demonstrate correlations between effective policies and places with relatively less development and vice versa.
• Provide feedback to improve Farms Under Threat interactive website.
• Support the application of Farms Under Threat analyses or the development of new analyses in various regions in the country.
• Coordinate with geospatial mapping partners to pilot-test analyses to multiple uses for Farms Under Threat at a regional and state level that can be incorporated into the national analysis
• Support staff training in the uses and limitations of Farms Under Threat analyses and other geospatial work.
• Identify, compile, build and maintain a spatial database of permanently protected agricultural lands to complement the Protected Areas Database (PAD) of the US and National Conservation Easement Database (NCED).
• Coordinate work with U.S. Climate Alliance partners and identify additional deliverables for AFTs Climate Initiative.
• Respond to staff requests for maps and data that can help them improve targeting in their region and strengthen funding proposals and messaging.
• The ideal candidate will hold a MS degree. At a minimum, applicant should possess a BA/BS in GIS, natural resource management, geography or planning.
• Minimum 2-5 years experience in analytical and development functions of integrated GIS applications, preferably in a utility environment.
• Detail-oriented to conduct thorough analyses and evaluations, render and implement timely decisions and recommendations.
• Ability to work independently and manage time across multiple projects and deadlines.
• Ability to seek input/feedback and coordinate with other team members.
• Strong communications skills.
• Ability to train and work with non-GIS proficient staff to improve their understanding and use of GIS-related tools and products.
• Understanding of GIS software, topology/geometric network techniques, data model formats, and data conversion practices.
• Working knowledge of GIS related software (especially ArcGIS (10.1 Version and above), QGIS, Google Earth Engine, or R), desktop mapping, web mapping, GPS, and database/spreadsheet applications.
• Experience using and incorporating LiDAR data into spatial mapping.
• Passion for AFTs mission
• Ability to think creatively and strategically
• Proactive and able to prioritize
• Independent self-starter
• Poised, considerate, and respectful team player
American Farmland Trust provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, American Farmland Trust complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the organization has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/v28kmvkvx4c5fzx3
Apply online here
American Farmland Trust
1150 Connecticut Ave NW, Suite 600
DC, 20036 USA