GISjobs.com It All Starts Here
Geospatial Data Manager
Arlington, VA, USA
NatureServe seeks a highly collaborative spatial data manager to coordinate aggregation and delivery of standardized observation data to users by among our institutional partners.
The Spatial Data Manager supports NatureServe’s strategic goal of expanding our holdings of ready-to-use, decision quality biodiversity data by assembling spatial observation data from the Network and a wider set of partners. Using state-of-the art GIS applications, the Spatial Data Manager collaborates with scientists from federal resource management agencies, NatureServe member programs, and NatureServe staff to standardize existing species observation data and facilitate data transfer among the parties. They apply emerging tools to automate the transformation of observation data to delineate sites (“Element Occurrences”) that contribute to the long-term survival of the species. The Spatial Data Manager also supports the assembly and delivery of observation and Element Occurrence data to our partners and clients via web maps, feature services, and via NatureServe’s Explorer Pro platform.
· Work with federal clients (initially the Bureau of Land Management) to identify priority data sets, match their data fields to NatureServe’s Biodiversity Observation Data Standard, and apply Esri GIS tools (e.g., Simple Data Loader, Survey123, ArcGIS Dashboard) to standardize their existing observation data and serve it via ArcGIS Online.
· Support NatureServe member programs to apply emerging GIS tools to collect and transform observation data to create Element Occurrences.
· Manage client and partner relationships in the data standardization process by coordinating and effectively communicating with federal client technical leads, Network member program scientists and data managers.
· Assemble and manage aggregated observation data from multiple jurisdictions using Esri ArcGIS tools.
· Fulfill client data requests for Biodiversity Location Data from NatureServe’s aggregated data holdings sourced from both Network and other sources.
· Support enhancements to NatureServe databases and software tools as needed.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
· Degree in the field of biological science, environmental science, natural resource management, information systems, geography, or related field.
· 5 years of experience managing biological data and databases.
· Intermediate GIS skills including proficiency in ArcGIS Online, ArcGIS Pro/Desktop, and field data collection apps such as Survey 123.
· Relational database experience and ability to write optimized SQL queries.
· In-depth knowledge of geodatabases and database management technologies.
· Experience developing and managing metadata.
· Experience working closely with partners to aggregate, manage and distribute spatial observation data.
· Keen organizational skills.
· Skilled in working alongside project team members and with external partners in a highly collaborative environment.
· Ability to deal perceptively and communicate effectively (verbal and written) with a diverse array of people and institutions – from technical to non-technical.
· Demonstrated flexibility, self-awareness, professional integrity, and cultural competence - including commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
· Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship.
· Willingness and ability to travel occasionally.
· Commitment to the conservation of biodiversity and a genuine desire to make a lasting impact.
· Experience working with NatureServe Network member programs and knowledge of NatureServe Natural Heritage Methodology.
· Familiarity with observation data collection and management standards including NatureServe’s Biodiversity Observation Data Standard and Darwin Core.
· Experience working with U.S. federal agencies on conservation assessment or resource management issues.
· Experience using NatureServe’s Biotics software.
· Experience with data modeling and database design
· Experience with a scripting language such as R or Python
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
· Ability to converse verbally and in writing with staff and partners.
· Ability to maintain a full-time position.
· Ability to travel unassisted.
· Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus such as: preparing reports and figures; viewing a computer terminal.
For nearly 50 years, NatureServe has been the authoritative source for biodiversity data throughout the Western Hemisphere. With an international network of nearly 100 natural heritage programs across the United States, Canada, and Latin America, NatureServe is the leading source of information on rare and endangered species and threatened ecosystems. To protect threatened biodiversity, NatureServe works with over 1,000 conservation scientists to collect, aggregate, and standardize biodiversity statistics, providing comprehensive data to the public for strategic conservation efforts. NatureServe and NatureServe network programs develop and manage the most comprehensive data for over 100,000 species and ecosystems, answering fundamental questions about what exists, where it is found, and how it is doing. NatureServe has an expansive botanical library in its Arlington, VA office and access to online botanical literature to support our work.
NatureServe offers full-time employees a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
· 401K savings and retirement plan with matching contributions
· Health and dental insurance
· Short and long-term disability
· Annual and sick leave
· Life insurance
· Telework/Flex work
NATURESERVE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
An equal opportunity, reasonable accommodations employer, NatureServe complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. If you need accommodation in the employment process or this document in an alternative format, please contact our office at 703-908-1840 or email@example.com. We stand in support of equality for, and advancement of all people based on their qualifications and actions alone without regard to color, gender, age, religion, national origin, or disability.
Apply online here
2550 South Clark Street, Suite 930
Arlington, VA, 22202 USA
Posted 2021-11-10 under Geospatial