GISjobs.com It All Starts Here
Geospatial Developer II
The Institute for Disaster Resilient Texas is seeking a Geospatial Developer II, who will be responsible for developing, maintaining, and administering the back-end of the Institute’s geographic information system (GIS); this includes the development and administration of databases and the creation of data pipelines to support the Institute’s analytical and visualization efforts. We seek to hire a candidate who will support our commitment to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability as stated above. The successful candidate will have a Master’s degree in Geography, Geosciences, Computer Science, or a related field and have experience in the following: working in cloud computing environments such as Azure, developing scripts and queries to streamline data processing for use in APIs and research efforts, managing and processing large spatial datasets, and maintaining data integrity via data security protocols and access controls. We are looking to hire a candidate who is a team player and who will promote collaboration and cooperation while working within a team. If the description sounds interesting to you, we invite you to apply to be considered for this opportunity to join our team.
What you need to know:
- This position can be located in Houston, Austin, College Station, or Galveston, Texas.
- Cover Letter/Resume: A cover letter and resume’ are strongly recommended and contact information for three references (one a previous supervisor) are requested. You may upload these documents on the application under CV/Resume.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Geography, Geosciences, Computer Science, or related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Four years of experience as an analyst or developer in any of the following areas: business, GIS, market, or related area.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrated experience in process automation with scripting tools, SQL queries, database administration including backup and restoration, and geospatial applications.
- Demonstrated expertise in geospatial software (ArcGIS, QGIS, etc.) and associated coding languages (Python, R, etc.).
- Demonstrated expertise in raster database administration.
- Demonstrated successful collaboration with IT-related groups.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively, both independently and collaboratively, in a team-oriented environment.
- Must be self-motivated, possess strong organizational skills, and demonstrate initiative and learning capacity to hone technical skills as needed.
- Reliable and effective communicator in writing, by phone, electronically, and in person. Equivalent combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted as appropriate.
- Ability to multi task and work cooperatively with others.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Masters with major coursework related to geospatial, computer, information, or related science and four years of relevant experience
- Experience with GeoNode.
- Experience in additional scripting languages used for spatial data processing and automation.
- Experience working with JSON and GeoJSON data formats both as a transfer format and for ingestion/use in database(s).
- Experience with database transactions from remote devices sending records by IP telemetry, such as GPS, RFID, etc.
- Experience with web form construction for database record collection and presentation.
Preferred Licenses and Certifications:
- PostgreSQL certification, Microsoft SQL Server Certification, Enterprise Geodata Management Professional certification or equivalent experience.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Advanced course work leading to a Master's degree or higher in geospatial, computer, information, or related science.
- Knowledge of laws, statutes, and policies for handling confidential or personally identifiable information (PII) data and requirements for the maintenance and dissemination of this data and information.
- Ability to cultivate and maintain professional working relationships with people of diverse backgrounds
- Builds, loads and maintains scripts that enable headless data processing and communication and configuration of application tools.
- Administers spatial databases using one or more of the following databases/technologies: PostGreSQL, Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft Azure, and legacy ArcGIS SDE databases and applications.
- Creates, maintains and visualizes data from many different sources into cohesive optimized data structures for use in real-time web applications and other critical applications.
- Documents database components, relationships and functions, composes effective queries, generates reports, and maintains data integrity.
- Designs and implements database backup and restoration strategies. Consults with users on methods to interface with and optimally use spatial and non-spatial databases.
- Works with other developers on new features, functions and systems and anticipates and troubleshoots problems and failures.
- Reports information and issues clearly and in a timely manner to technical and non-technical personnel.
- Interacts with users to determine requirements and optimize web services and geospatial features and
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Instructions to Applicants: Applications received by Texas A&M University must either have all job application data entered or a resume attached. Failure to provide all job application data or a complete resume could result in an invalid submission and a rejected application. We encourage all applicants to upload a resume or use a LinkedIn profile to pre-populate the online application.
In accordance with the federal contractor vaccination mandate, specific facilities at The Texas A&M System may be considered a covered contractor workplace with covered contractor employees. Therefore, successful applicants for this position may be subject to the federal mandate to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment unless an approved medical or religious accommodation is in place.
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution’s verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution’s procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.
Apply online here or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org